Sunday, November 11, 2012

Learning xNormal baking for normal and AO maps



Here I'm getting familiar with xNormal to bake normal maps and ambient occlusion maps from a high poly object.  I used one of the rocks I sculpted in zBrush.  In this workflow, I went from high poly to low poly, so the low poly rock was created using 3ds Max's poly draw tool on top of the high poly rock.  Now that I'm looking at the wireframe again, I realize I could have optimized it a bit cleaner since some of the edges seem weird.

Below are my normal and texture maps baked out in xNormal.  The original AO map seemed too bright for some reason, and didn't capture as much detail as I expected (still trying to figure this out).  Fortunately, I found a tutorial that showed me how to generate 2 cavity  maps to help bring out that missing detail and combine it with the original.  I just did a simple flatten map for the UVs since I wanted to quickly jump to the baking process.